Our story begins in 1851 at Wesleyan Female College in Macon, Georgia, where six incredible women changed the world.
Led by Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald, our founders formed The Adelphean Society for “the mental, moral, social, and domestic improvement of its members.” The Adelphean Society, later renamed Alpha Delta Pi, was the first secret society for college women.
The principles of scholarship, leadership, sisterhood, and service guide over 235,000 women in more than 146 active collegiate chapters and over 150 alumnae associations of Alpha Delta Pi.
Highlights in Alpha Delta Pi History
These dates and events are only a brief glimpse into the long and distinguished history of Alpha Delta Pi.
1836: Wesleyan Female College was founded as Georgia Female College in Macon, Georgia, as the first college in the world to grant degrees to women.
1851: Alpha Delta Pi was founded by Eugenia Tucker on May 15th as The Adelphean Society, making it the first secret society for women.
1852: The Philomathean Society (later Phi Mu) was founded on March 4th at Wesleyan Female College.
1905: The Adelphean Society changed its name to Alpha Delta Phi and became a national organization. Beta Chapter was established at Salem College in Winston-Salem.
1906: Gamma Chapter was founded at Mary Baldwin Seminary. The first National Convention was held in Macon, Georgia.
1907: The first Adelphean was published.
1909: Alpha Delta Phi joined the National Panhellenic Conference.
1911: Elizabeth Moseley Coles was elected the first National President.
1913: The Convention body changed the name of the organization to Alpha Delta Pi, adopted a recognition pin, and appointed a Standardization committee. The trustees at Wesleyan Female College voted to abolish sororities.
1915: The coat of arms was modified to include a lion rampart with a background of violets and the English version of the open motto: “We live for each other.”
1929: Beta Zeta was installed at the University of Toronto, making ADPi an international organization.
1979: Alpha Delta Pi adopted the Ronald McDonald House as the national philanthropy.
1983: The Alpha Delta Pi Foundation was established.
2001: Alpha Delta Pi celebrated its 150th Anniversary.
2003: New Executive Office building was completed.
2005: Memorial Headquarters renovation was completed.